After several years of operating exclusively with my Google calendars, I went back to a paper planner last fall. Here are 5 reasons for getting crafty with a planner:
1. It’s a day-brightener. I purchased my planner when I was going through some stressful changes at work, and having a pretty planner helped me stay focused on the good things in my life. Tucking in a special photo or glancing at favorite embellishments gave me a little boost during the day.
2. A planner is a capture tool. Brain research has demonstrated that writing things down strengthens learning and remembering as this article in Scientific American, A Learning Secret: Don’t Take Notes with a Laptop, explains. Having one place to capture dates and to-dos helps me feel more together and focused.
3. A planner keeps priorities center stage. All tasks are not equal, and with the help of some pretty washi tape and stamps, staying focused can be a bit more fun. Keeping lists and reminders on the dashboard keeps me on track, especially during small chunks of time and after interruptions.
4. The planner provides space for memory-keeping. I like to stamp a space in my weekly spreads for listing what I want to remember from each week. I stamp in batches by loading up my stamp press as shown above. I typically stamp several weeks out, enough that I am not doing this weekly, but not so far out that I can’t switch to another stamp when I am ready for a change. If you like the stamp I am using in my planner, it is from the April Life Pages Kit at Gossamer Blue.
5. It is easy to customize. I change out my sections based on what my life currently looks like. It does not stay the same throughout the year. For example, I am adding a section for planning this blog!
Getting crafty with a planner can be as simple or involved as you want it to be. It is a work in progress, and a great opportunity to use up some favorite crafting supplies, and who doesn’t love that? How about you? Have you jumped on board the planner trend?